Welcome to Online Learning
La Roche College offers a variety of ways in which to learn. Students do not necessarily need to reside in the Pittsburgh area to be a part of the La Roche community. Perhaps your schedule does not permit for you to have time in the classroom. Online Learning @ La Roche offers students interactive, challenging, and accredited online programs and courses.
Why Take an Online Course
Online courses provide a flexible learning environment. You may attend class from anywhere and at any time as long as you have Internet access. Studies show that online students are further engaged in their virtual classrooms, as social barriers are reduced. Critical thinking skills are enhanced through posted responses to class discussions and demonstrate the understanding of course material through typed responses. The best way to know if Online Learning @ La Roche is for you is to actually participate in an online course. The questions below do not guarantee success in learning via a virtual classroom; however, a “yes” response to the inquiries will offer some insight into the necessities to acquire knowledge, actively participate, and enjoy your online learning experience.
- Do you have access to a computer and the Internet?
- Can you work independently?
- Are you self-motivated, organized, and disciplined?
- Do you enjoy working on a computer?
- Are you disciplined to block out quality time, approximately 4-6 hours per week, to participate in your online classroom and submit assignments?
- Are you able to understand written instructions?
- Are you comfortable in your knowledge of terms, such as uploading, downloading, file attachments, e-mailing, Internet, hardware, software, and flashdrives?
- Are you accountable to assignment deadlines?
- Do you enjoy reading and possess strong written and critical thinking skills?
- Are you comfortable in sharing ideas and learning from others in an online discussion forum?
What is learned in online courses is in direct proportion to what the student puts into it. Online courses can be very demanding. In these courses there is no substitute for effort and the ability to work independently. The successful online student is goal-oriented, directed, disciplined, independent, motivated and organized.
What you need to take an online class
Online course registration policy
Those students who are not enrolled in an online program may register for an online course if they meet the following criteria:
- A student must have at least a 2.5 GPA
- A student must not be on academic probation
- A full-time student may only register for a maximum of 6 credits per semester
- A student may not register for a course that is offered as an online course if they have previously failed that same online course. The course must be retaken in the traditional setting if available.
For more information on online learning please visit LRC ONLINE.
Note for non-Pennsylvania residents: La Roche College is required to have authorizations to operate in states outside of Pennsylvania. Once you have applied for admission to one of our online programs, La Roche College will determine our status for the state in which you reside, and an admissions counselor will follow up with you directly on the admissions process.
La Roche College is UNABLE to accept applications for admission to online programs and online courses due to higher education regulation changes, effective August 1, 2011, from students residing in the following states:
Questions, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies & Adult Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students who would like to file a complaint, may refer to the following link for specific state requirements: complaint process links.
Current State Authorizations:
- California – pending approval
- Georgia – authorized
- Maryland – pending approval
- New Jersey - authorized
- New York - authorized
- Ohio - authorized
- South Carolina - authorized
- Texas - pending approval
To request information please click here and specify “ONLINE PROGRAMS” in the comment section.
Questions, comments, or concerns regarding the online learning program pages, please let us know here.