At La Roche College, students have many choices in the Modern Language Department. Our goal is to prepare students for a variety of educational and future career opportunities.
Why study a foreign language?
There are many benefits of studying a foreign language:
- It expands your view of the world and broadens your experiences.
- It encourages critical reflection on the relation of language and culture, as well as language and thought.
- It helps to foster an understanding of the interrelation of language and human nature.
- It helps develop your intellect and teaches you how to learn.
- It contributes to cultural awareness and literacy, such as knowledge of original texts.
- It builds practical skills for travel, commerce or other disciplines.
- It improves the knowledge of your own language through comparison and contrast with the foreign language.
- It exposes you to modes of thought outside of your native language.
- It provides a sense of relevant past, both cultural and linguistic.
- It balances content and skill, rather than content vs, skill.
- It expands opportunities for meaningful leisure activity, such as travel, reading or viewing foreign language films.
- It contributes to the achievement of national goals, such as economic development and national security.
- It enables the transfer of training, such as learning a second foreign language.
- It preserves and fosters a country’s image as a cultured nation.
Closely related to these offerings, our Study Abroad and Beyond the Classroom programs provide you with an opportunity to use your language skills.
La Roche also offers a comprehensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program.