Interior Design Major Computer Requirements
A Windows notebook is required fall semester for students taking IDSN1011 Interior Design Graphics I; and in spring semester for students taking IDSN1021 Interior Design Graphics II and IDSN1020 Interior Design I. All ID majors above the freshman year are required to have their own notebook with current software.
Macintosh notebooks should not be purchased due to software incompatibility.
These hardware and software specifications apply only to the 2017-2018 academic year. Updated specifications are posted during the summer for the next academic year.
- Operating systems requirements:
- 64-bit Microsoft Windows® 10
- CPU Type:
- High-end Quad-Core recommended (more than 4 cores will not help)
- 3.4 GHz minimum, the faster the better
- Examples of compatible CPUs:
- Intel Core i5-7440HQ
- Intel Core i7-7740X
- Intel Core i7-7700HQ
- Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad-Core (which is installed on our recommended Alienware 17 inch laptop and clocked at 4.4 GHz.)
- Memory requirements:
- Video requirements:
- 1920x1080 pixels or higher.
- Minimum 6,000 PassMark points with 4GB memory or more, and compatible with DirectX 11 or later. Click here to see the PassMark list for video Cards.
- Examples of cards with about 6,000 PassMark points:
- Nvidia Quadro M5500
- AMD Radeon RX 580 (mobile version)
- AMD Radeon R9 290
- AMD Radeon WX 7100
- GeForce GTX 1060
- GeForce GTX 1070 (8,700 PassMarks; which is installed in our recommended Alienware 17 inch laptop and clocked at 4.4 GHz.)
- Other requirements/recommendations:
- 500 GB hard drive
- Wireless Ethernet - 802.11 b/g/n or 801.11 ac
- 10/100 Ethernet connection
- 3 USB 2.0 High Speed Ports
- 3-button Optical Wheeled Scroll Mouse
- Microsoft Office 365 (Available to students at no charge. An email is sent to eligible students at their La Roche College email address with information for downloading the software.)
- Antivirus software as approved by La Roche (must be kept up-to-date) Complete list of approved anti-virus software. Complete list of approved anti-software
- Carrying case (recommended)
- Extended warranty (highly recommended)
- View/purchase recommended Dell system (Click on the "La Roche College Recommended Computers" link)
AutoCAD software is available free of charge for students from AutoDesk. Please visit the following website to register and download AutoCAD® 2017 is required for the first semester Freshman year and every semester therafter. Please visit the following website to register and download AutoCAD® 2017 and a license key: students.autodesk.com. Follow the directions to establish an account using your La Roche e-mail address.
Please Note: Even with a broadband connection, the software is large and will require up to several hours to download.
Other software, including AutoCAD Revit and 3dsMax is also available free of charge from this website.
Technical issues with the AutoDesk website should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional software is required as students advance through the program. Google SketchUp is required in the second semester Freshman year and every semester thereafter. Revit and SketchUp plug-ins are required in the Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years. 3dsMax and Lumion are recommended, but not required, in the Junior and Senior years.