Entrance Requirements for Admission into Allegheny School of Anesthesia
To be considered for admission into Allegheny School of Anesthesia (ASOA), you must fulfill the following prerequisites:
- An appropriate baccalaureate degree (BSN, B.S., B.A.)
- Copies of current license as a registered nurse
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the undergraduate level
- Acceptable scores on the Graduate Record Exam or Miller Analogy Test
- Minimum of one year of nursing experience in an adult critical care setting
- Current BCLS, ACLS and PALS certification
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the undergraduate level in the following areas:
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
If any of these courses were taken more than 10 years ago, applicants may be required to verify competency in these areas
- Three approved references/recommendations from:
- Immediate Nurse Manager in current position
- Individual familiar with applicant's competency in present position
- Nursing Supervisor
Health Sciences (Nurse Anesthesia)
For RNs who are not CRNAs:
Baccalaureate prepared registered nurses who wish to specialize in anesthesia must enroll in the 24-month health sciences graduate program on a full-time basis. These students will supplement their theoretical study at La Roche College with clinical experience at one of the following clinical sites: Allegheny General Hospital, Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Forbes Regional Hospital, Alle Kiski Medical Center, Butler Memorial Hospital, UPMC Passavant Hospital, HVHS Sewickley Valley Hospital, St. Clair Memorial Hospital, HVHS Beaver Medical Center and Wheeling Hospital.
The application process begins with prior acceptance from Allegheny School of Anesthesia.
You must be accepted before completing the following La Roche College Admissions requirements. To begin the admissions process CLICK HERE (Graduate Admissions Letter in PDF Format).
Admission Requirements for ASOA:
- Completed application form and $50 non-refundable application fee. Check made payable to Allegheny School of Anesthesia
- Transcripts from nursing school(s) as well as each college attended including any community college transcripts; they must be final and official transcripts and must bear each institution's official seal and be sent directly to the school of anesthesia by the institution's registrar
- Three completed letters of reference forms
- Copy of current resume
- Copy of current nursing license
- Copy of BLS, ACLS and PALS certifications
- Additional supporting documents may be required by the school of anesthesia
Upon acceptance from ASOA, a La Roche application must be completed and forwarded to La Roche College.
Requests for application materials, program information or an individual interview should be directed to:
Allegheny School of Anesthesia
320 E. North Avenue
5th Floor South Tower
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
FAX (412) 442-2189
CRNAs applying for admission to the graduate program in Health Sciences must submit the following to the Office of Graduate Studies & Adult Education at La Roche College:
- Completed application form
- All materials listed under "Admission Process" on the preceding page
- Requests for application materials, program information or an individual interview should be directed to:
Graduate Studies & Adult Education
La Roche College
9000 Babcock Boulevard
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) requires that all students matriculating into a nurse anesthesia educational program on Jan. 1, 2022 or thereafter be enrolled in a program approved by the COA to award a practice doctoral degree.
The program plans to submit its application to the COA for approval to award the DNAP degree in September 2020. Pending approval by the COA, the program plans to enroll its first doctoral cohort of students in January 2022.
Further information regarding this transition may be obtained by contacting the Allegheny School of Anesthesia at 412-442-2188
Anesthesia School Accreditation Status
The Allegheny School of Anesthesia, which is affiliated with La Roche College, is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA), 222 S. Prospect Avenue, Park Ridge, IL 60068.
Council on Accreditation Website
Anesthesia Pass Rates
(Next scheduled review is May 2025)
Anesthesia Pass Rates
|Attrition Rate||11.7% (2/17)|
|First-time NCE pass rate||80%|