2018 Global Development and Humanitarian Aid Training Program
Dates: May 21-25, 2018
Location: La Roche College | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Climate refugees. Tsunamis. Earthquakes.
Global crises are rising and getting worse, and there is a shortage of people to work in the field of humanitarian aid and disaster relief. La Roche College’s Global Development and Humanitarian Aid Training Program offers the chance to learn about working in these fields through an intense five-day workshop.
With local and global experts, real-world simulation experiences and interactive classes, participants will leave with a strong understanding of key concepts, trends and essential knowledge necessary to succeed in this field on both a domestic and international level. Want to learn more? Check out our blog, Humanitarian Aid Training - Beginnings.
Investigate and experience:
- U.N. and Geneva Convention legal frameworks guiding assistance and aid groups
- Climate change emergency responses
- Technology of emergency aid with smartphones and drones
- Collaborative work and creative problem solving under stressful conditions
- Ensuring safety and security under conditions of pressure and change
- Exploring the local and global connection to this growing field
- Preparing for a career in humanitarian aid
Unique 24-hour simulation:
The program offers an immersive simulation experience meant to mimic a real-life global humanitarian aid situation for a full 24 hours. Organized in partnership with the Forage Center for Peacebuilding and Humanitarian Education, Inc., local volunteers will represent key players of a fictional country in crisis, and participants, playing the role of aid workers, must work together in facilitating a response.
Preferred applicants should be any of the following:
- A current student in higher education
- A professional in the field
- Someone genuinely curious about humanitarian aid
Candidates must be:
- 18 years or older
- Available to attend all daily workshops and activities throughout the week, including the 24-hour simulation
- A self-starter and eager to learn
*Please note: While workshops and activities primarily occur in a classroom setting, the simulation experience will take place outside (under cover) for a full 24 hours. All participants (commuter and residential) are expected to attend and must provide their own sleeping bag.
- $600 – Residential Rate (a single room and all meals included)
- $350 – Commuter Rate (limited meal plan included)
Limited needs-based financial scholarships are available.
For More Information
Please contact Assistant Director of Global Engagement Emily Markham: 412-536-1215 or email@example.com.