Couple any bachelor’s degree with a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) from La Roche University.
Master of Arts in Teaching
The MAT is designed for aspiring teachers who hold a bachelor’s degree in any field. This 30-credit program helps you to easily make a career change and earn initial Pennsylvania teaching certification in just 15 months.
Upon completion of this program, you’ll earn a master’s degree and be skilled to teach:
- Any core subject at the fourth to sixth grade level
- One of the following subject areas at the seventh and eighth grade levels: English/Language Arts and Reading, Mathematics, Science or Social Studies
You’ll also be eligible to apply for Pennsylvania middle level teaching certification, and you can add additional certification areas such as: PreK-4 or 7-12th grade by passing appropriate content exams.
La Roche’s MAT offers convenient online and evening courses for you to continue your education while meeting personal and professional obligations outside of the classroom.
You’ll begin by taking two graduate-level courses each semester for three terms: fall spring and summer. Course topics include:
- Contemporary Issues in Education and Inclusive Practices
- Characteristics of Effective Middle Level Instruction
- Assessment for Data-Based Instruction
- Creative Positive Learning Environments for Adolescents
- Instructional Strategies Across the Disciplines
- Literacy Instruction for Diverse Learners
- Professional and Action Research
In your final semester, you’ll gain real-world experience in the classroom by completing 12 weeks of student teaching.