Entrance Requirements for Admission into Allegheny School of Anesthesia
To be considered for admission into Allegheny School of Anesthesia (ASOA), you must fulfill the following prerequisites by the application deadline of Dec. 31:
- A completed application form along with an application fee in the amount of $50 to Allegheny School of Anesthesia
- An appropriate baccalaureate degree (BSN, B.S., B.A.)
- Current resume
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the undergraduate level
- Minimum of one year of nursing experience in an adult critical care setting
- Current BCLS, ACLS and PALS certifications, and a copy of current licensure as a registered nurse
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the undergraduate level in the following areas:
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
If any of these courses were taken more than 10 years ago, applicants may be required to verify competency in these areas
- Three approved references/recommendations from:
- Immediate Nurse Manager in current position
- Individual familiar with applicant's competency in present position
- Nursing Supervisor in current position
Baccalaureate-prepared registered nurses who wish to specialize in anesthesia must enroll in the 24-month health sciences graduate program on a full-time basis. These students will supplement their theoretical study at La Roche University with clinical experiences at the following clinical sites: Allegheny General Hospital, Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Forbes Regional Hospital, Alle Kiski Medical Center, Butler Memorial Hospital, Ohio Valley General Hospital, Jefferson Hospital, UPMC Passavant Hospital, HVHS Sewickley Valley Hospital, St. Clair Memorial Hospital, HVHS Beaver Medical Center and Wheeling Hospital.
Please download the following documents:
Allegheny School of Anesthesia Application and Reference Letter (PDF)
Upon acceptance from ASOA, a La Roche application must be completed and forwarded to La Roche University.
Requests for additional program information should be directed to:
Allegheny School of Anesthesia
320 E. North Avenue
5th Floor South Tower
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) requires that all students matriculating into a nurse anesthesia educational program on Jan. 1, 2022 or thereafter be enrolled in a program approved by the COA to award a practice doctoral degree.
The program plans to submit its application to the COA for approval to award the DNAP degree in September 2020. Pending approval by the COA, the program plans to enroll its first doctoral cohort of students in January 2022.
Further information regarding this transition may be obtained by contacting the Allegheny School of Anesthesia at 412-442-2188.
CRNAs applying for admission to the graduate program in Health Sciences must submit the following to the Office of Graduate Studies & Adult Education at La Roche University:
- Completed application form
- All materials listed under "Admission Process" on the preceding page
- Requests for application materials, program information or an individual interview should be directed to:
Graduate Studies & Adult Education
La Roche University
9000 Babcock Boulevard
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Anesthesia School Accreditation Status
The Allegheny School of Anesthesia, which is affiliated with La Roche University, is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA), 222 S. Prospect Avenue, Park Ridge, IL 60068.
Council on Accreditation Website
Anesthesia Pass Rates
Next scheduled review is May 2025.
Anesthesia Pass Rates
|1st time pass rate||81%|
|2nd time pass rate||100%|
|Attrition Rate||20% (4/20)|