Mandatory Student Health Insurance Policy
All full-time undergraduate (12+ credits) and graduate (6+ credits) students are required to have comprehensive medical coverage in the Pittsburgh area. To comply with this mandate, students must either enroll in the La Roche University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) OR waive it with proof of health insurance that meets the following criteria.
The plan must:
- NOT exclude pre-existing conditions
- PAY providers directly (no reimbursement policies)
- INCLUDE mental health coverage
- NOT exclude payment for illness or injury occurring under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- SPAN the entire student registration (no short-term policies)
- Annual Term 8/1/2019 – 7/31/2020
- Fall Term 8/1 – 12/31/2019
- Spring Term 1/1 – 7/31/2020
In addition to the above waiver criteria, international students’ plans must:
- PAY claims in U.S. dollars
- HAVE a U.S.-based claims processing center
- PRODUCE a copy of the full policy document in English
Undergraduate students, to remove the $1761.00 charge that has been placed on your student account, you must respond by Sept. 15, 2019. The cost includes premium and a $137 advocacy and health initiative fee.
Graduate students, to remove the $2872.00 charge that has been placed on your student account, you must respond by Sept. 15, 2019. The cost includes premium and a $137 advocacy and health initiative fee.
Effective annual dates: August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2020
Effective spring dates: January 1, 2020 through July 31, 2020
New spring students must respond by Feb. 15, 2020.
- Go to QMServicesinc.com.
- Start typing La Roche University in the School selection box.
- Log in:
- Username = Student ID Number
- Password = Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY)
- After the initial login, you will be prompted to change your password to one you will remember for future logins.
- Select Enroll or Waive and follow the prompts through the process. You will receive an e-mail telling you whether or not your enrollment or waiver process was successful.
What Happens if You Don’t Respond
Failure to respond by the deadline will result in automatic enrollment in the SHIP; and attempts to cancel enrollment after the deadline will incur premium and administrative fees of no less than $137, even if you do not use the SHIP.
For More Information
Visit QMServicesinc.com to learn about:
- La Roche University SHIP benefits and costs
- saving money --- review your current plan and compare it to the SHIP
- information regarding out-of-state Medicaid
- special message for international students
- dependent enrollment
- optional dental and vision insurance
La Roche contracts with independent student health insurance administrators and advocates at QM Services, Inc. For assistance, please call QM Services at 800-273-1715 ~ ext. 2.