Call 412-367-9300 to reach the Information Desk at La Roche University. To browse the directory, please select a letter from the menu above.
Kathryn Silvis, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Department Chair, Education
COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES ATTENDED & DEGREES RECEIVED:
- B.A. in Elementary Education (minor in Psychology) from Westminster College
- Master of Education Degree (Elementary Education with a focus in Mathematics) from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- Doctorate of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Elementary Teaching Certification (Grades K-8)
SCHOLARLY/PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Silvis, K. (2010). Using Diagnostic Assessment to Address Pre-Service Teachers’ Science Misconceptions. Presented at annual conference of National Science Teacher’s Association (Philadelphia, PA).
- Silvis, K. (2008). How to create your own probability carnival. Presented at annual conference of National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (Salt Lake City, UT).
- Silvis, K. (2008). Talking with young people about global warming. Presented at Focus the Nation conference (Pittsburgh, PA).
- Silvis, K. (2008). Taking flight with an inquiry approach. Science Scope, 32(1), 75-78.
- Silvis, K. (2006). How to create a probability carnival. PCTM Magazine, 44(2), 10-13.
- Facilitator for HOME PATE (Hands On Mathematics Education for Pennsylvania Learning And Teaching)
- Published article in Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics Journal - How to Create Your Own Probability Carnival - January, 2006
- IUP Doctoral Foundation Fellowship
- School Bell Award
JOINED THE LA ROCHE: 2006
HOMETOWN: Harmony, Pa.